Photography Interns Wanted | Season [X]
We are LeahAndMark.com – and along with our Creative Director (Joy!) and our team of +Photographers – we operate the largest photography internship in the country. Leah and I picked up our cameras a little over three (3) years ago and started this business with no formal training, a little bit of luck and way too much hard work! We’ve gone from just two people who liked making pictures into wedding photographers that travel all over the United States photographing weddings. A lot of weddings.
We operate our business following three principles:
1. Be Different
2. Do things that matter
3. Show Everyone
We’re looking for interns to work with us for three months – and possibly longer.
Here is what our Alumni Interns have to say about how this Internship changed their lives:
Our Interns work hard and most of them photographed more in the last three months than they did in the past year.
You should know what’s in it for you. Because if you’re considering working with us, then you should know exactly what you’re gaining – since it’s definitely not money!
Although it’s not really popular these days – we’re ‘generalists’. We don’t specialize in anything and that goes against the current trend of finding your ‘niche’ and specializing in one or two specific types of photography. We run the gamut and we photograph everything from weddings, to parties, to corporate headshots, to family and children portraits, to senior portraits, and even product photography. Without arguing if our photography is actually any good – we can only go on the fact that our clients REALLY like us, they keep coming back, and new ones seem to keep contacting us and asking us to work with them.
We’re very busy and as our intern you will have lots of opportunities to photograph in a wide range of different styles and subject matter.
What we need is for you to have some idea of what you’d like to focus on and learn from us. Some of what we can offer is:
- How to pose subjects, especially strangers – and become confident at it
- How to better handle light – off camera flash and natural
- How to stop taking photos like everyone else (it’s easier than you think)
- Get away from ‘technically’ perfect photos
- Photographers learn by photographing – you’ll photograph a lot with us.
- Stop feeling restricted by the gear you DON’T have
AND MARKETING subjects – because you want to be an actual paid and working photographer right?
- How to hustle and get business
- How to keep clients and get repeat business
- How to charge appropriately and be paid for your services
- Turn ‘good exposure’ jobs into ACTUAL Good Exposure for YOU
- Attend our photography business-marketing class (for Interns only)
AND Even More
- Build the client base that you want
- Find out if you do make photographs like everyone else – so you can stop
- Make friends
- Have fun
- Try crazy ideas because no one’s going to stop you
- Push the boundaries of what your clients think they want – and keep delivering something just a little different
- Be hired as an artist – and not just a button pusher
We also setup group photoshoots where the ratio is roughly 2-3 photographers per model – and sometimes it’s 1 photographer per model. We believe in getting the best position for the best shot – and you can’t do that if there are 20 photographers shooting 3 models in a group session.
Here is a list of the workshops we have scheduled on our calendar:
- Photo 101/Physicality of shooting and Composition
- Off-Camera Flash & Lighting
- Photoshop/Lightroom editing and digital workflow
- Photography Business & Marketing
That’s what we think we offer and what we think an Intern can learn from us.
Here’s what we’re asking from our Interns:
- You own a DSLR camera
- You have at least a rudimentary understanding of shutter speed and aperture
- You have your own artistic ideas – even if you’re still working on them
- You aren’t afraid to try everything
- You don’t say ‘we can’t do that’
- You are willing to photograph everything during your time with us – even if it’s not your style
- You will read any materials we actually give you to read
- You will be available for at least two (2) five hour photo shoots a month (and possibly more permitting your schedule)
- You have a portfolio to show us – and you’re proud of your current work – no matter what
- You are nice
- You are stubborn
- You want to learn
- You can commit to working with us for three (3) months (roughly)
- Possibly accompany us on photo shoots/weddings out of town (on our tab)
- YOU ARE HERE TO FOLLOW, LEARN, & WORK HARD
We’d like to make it clear that your progress during this internship is primarily moved forward by you. We work hard to facilitate learning – but we don’t hold your hand, and even though we might cover the basics, it’s on your shoulders as an intern to do your homework and practice on your own – so that we can get to the really good stuff. Also – this internship requires a lot of trial & error learning – so stop aiming for perfection right away.
Please understand, this is an Internship with workshops. It’s not a full blown training program, it’s not a photography bootcamp, it’s not anything resembling a teacher/student/classroom arrangement like you might be accustomed to. This is an Internship. You work along side us, you follow our instructions, and we answer your questions – sometimes (alright most of the time).
If you’ve read the reviews - nothing here is spoon fed. You’re applying to learn things you can’t learn in a book, or for some reason – things that you didn’t learn in class. If you don’t ask good questions, then we’re not giving up answers too easily. It’s your job to ask better questions – and it’s our job to answer the good questions. Remember that.
The internship last during February, March, & April | Three months.
Deadline for the application is Friday January 11th at 12pm NOON.
(Tip: Write as much as you can.)
(Pro Tip: Write As Much As You Possibly Can.)
APPLICATION IS CLOSED
Latest posts by Mark Tioxon (see all)
- Jocelyn + Jon | Sugarboo Farms Wedding - 13 Aug ’14
- FIVE Reasons Why Your Wedding Will Be THE BEST EVER - 14 May ’14
- Amanda + Nathan | Wedding Preview & Coffee - 3 Apr ’14